St James the Less, Cruden Bay
St James the Less church is on Chapelhill in the pristine Aberdeenshire countryside a mile from the quaint coastal village of Cruden Bay, and its tall, pinnacled tower and spire is a notable landmark that can be seen for miles around.
St James’ celebrate the Eucharist each Sunday at 9:30am.
The church has plenty of free parking including disabled spaces.
The parish history of Cruden goes back for over a thousand years. The present Saint James’ Church was opened in 1843 and was the first commission of the Scottish architect William Hay (1818-1888).
The baptismal font dates from 1012 and came from the chantry chapel built by a Scottish King and a Danish Prince after a battle on the beach at Cruden Bay, which marked the end of Viking involvement on the north-east coast of Scotland.
The present pink granite church replaced a previous one, which was built on the same site in 1765. Before then, during the years of persecution of the Episcopal Church after the Battle of Culloden, the congregation met among the windswept sand-dunes on the beach.